Friday, May 9, 2014

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY 1947



The first American Mother's Day was celebrated in 1908 by Anna Jarvis who held a memorial for her mother in Grafton, West Virginia. Anna Jarvis began a campaign to make Mother's Day a recognized holiday in the United States in 1905, the year her mother died.




My mother (above with me) celebrated her first mother’s day in 1947 and so, in memory of her, I’m featuring fashions of 1947 in this post. She was a fashionista to whom I owe my passion for fashion.


http://myvintagevogue.com

See the third shoe (the one at the bottom) in the picture above? My mother had a similar pair. Actually, she had two pairs, both suede. One pair was black and the other dark green. The first time I ever got into trouble was because I had designs on those dark green high heels. Almost as soon as I could walk, I slipped my little feet into them and somehow managed to scuff them. Mummy’s great displeasure did nothing to nip my shoe addiction in the bud. The footwear posts on this blog are testimony to that. Check out the oldest shoes and the most expensive boots in the world in this post.


A glimpse of glamorous 1947


February 12, 1947 Dior's New Look is born



 Visit Diorable Style for more.



Pierre Balmain and actress Ruth Ford
Photographed by Carl Van Vechten
 
Wiki Commons



Evening gown by Molyneux

 
http://hprints.com



Evening dress by Rahvis, London. 
Vogue (British edition) June 1947
 
www.vam.ac.uk


 
Ruth Conklin wearing Christian Dior


Across the Pond in America
Leading American designer Sophie Gimbel, who designed for Salon Moderne of Saks Fifth Avenue, was an innovator of 'The New Look' that became all the rage after World War II. 

Sophie Gimbel

 
what-i-found.blogspot.com

 

                                                 
http://glamourdaze.com/
                                                                                  



paperdollreview.com








Aren’t hats fun? Would love to see them come back.


What outfit of your mother's will you never forget?


On Pinterest? Check out my Fashions Through The Ages board.

3 comments:

  1. I just love these fashions! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the fashion brings back to mind some of the pictures of my mother and the dresses she used to wear. a great tribute to your mother. thanks for sharing and bringing to mind some great memories of my own mother.

    ReplyDelete